Translate

Friday, November 20, 2015

Thanksgiving




“Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints, Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;”
(Ephesians 1:15-16 KJV)

During my graduate school years, I presented a variety of programs in my residence hall and at the Wesley Foundation, one of my favorite programs to present was on the topic of thankfulness—at one point I had several versions.  I attempted to present this program around Thanksgiving and/or shortly before finals—a very busy and stressful time for students!  A time when it is hard to be thankful! 

The programs were not elaborate or even all that time consuming; they were focused on being thankful (thinking about things, places, and people we were thankful for).  Due to the hectic and stressful nature of being a college student it was easy to lose focus on what really mattered and to be thankful for the important things/people (no matter how small) in life. 

From http://castabigger.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/A-thankful-image1.jpg

Life continues to be hectic, even after college/graduate school; it is so easy to get distracted by unimportant things and lose sight of what, and especially, who really matters.  For many of us, we are blessed beyond measure and have so much more than most of the world, yet it is easy to forget that in the workaday world.



From https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/3b/40/25/3b4025233b2fd3886b23eeb5d1c1aa89.jpg

Those of us, who have Jesus as Savior and Lord, should be among the most thankful people around. Click to Tweet  In Jesus, we have been forgiven of our sins and have a multitude of blessings.  Yet, sometimes, we forget just how much the Lord has given us and has done for us.     

Considering taking some time during this busy holiday season (and every day of the year) to reflect on what and who you are thankful for—you may even want to let people who you are thankful for know it!

Have fun with it!  I imagine that your perspective on life will change, if you are persistent about doing this. 


From http://boardofwisdom.com/cachetogo/images/quotes/595551.png

What are you thankful for?


From http://www.onthegocharleston.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/thankful.jpg

Try listing at least three things you are thankful for each day until the end of the year.  It is fine to be thankful for the simplest of things in your life.  Then read back through them and rejoice.


From http://www.greenyourdecor.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/HappyThanksgiving.jpg

Please join with me in prayer:

Heavenly Father, we thank You for all the things and people in our lives.  In Your Word we learn that we are to be thankful in all things but not for all things.  Help us to change our perspective so that we realize just how much we do have to be thankful for; we have so much in abundance compared to many places throughout the world.  Remind us that all we have is from You.  Help us to remember to count our blessings daily and particularly when we are busy or under a lot of stress.  In our busy lives remind us to not take people or You for granted; encourage us to place others ahead of ourselves, serving them in the name of Jesus.  In Jesus’ Name, we pray.  Amen.

From My Heart to Yours,

Kim

Dear Readers, I would like to wish you and your families a blessed Thanksgiving.  Enjoy and celebrate all of God’s richest blessings during this season of thanks.

Happy Thanksgiving!


4 comments:

  1. Hi Kim! I am so impressed with your speaking ability. I know you inspired so many to be thankful. It seems to me that it's the hardest spiritual gift to grab hold of...I get so busy, so overwhelmed that I don't stop and realize how truly gifted and graced I am.

    I can always use a reminder of that. Thank you for your reminder today. I am so thankful that I can make a difference in the lives of my friends and family. We are gifts to each other, and I am so grateful for them all :)
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ceil! Thank you so much for your kind comments on my speaking ability. All credit must go to the Lord! Being thankful is difficult, especially when we're going through challenging times. It's easy to forget just how much God has blessed us with.

      I'm glad that I could provide you with the reminder to be thankful. Like you, I'm thankful that I can make a difference in the lives of my friends and family.

      Blessings,

      Kim

      Delete
  2. May your Thanksgiving be happy and blessed, Kim! Thank you for reminding us here how important it is to be thankful for even the smallest of things.
    Love and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha. I know how important reminders can be--especially on being thankful.

      Love and blessings!

      Delete

All comments are moderated. Please use care in posting comments or replies. If you wouldn't say what you are writing in person, rethink your words. Remember words can build up or tear down. Speak the truth in love.

Labels