Translate

Friday, September 11, 2015

The Names of God: Teacher



And, behold, one came to him and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? (Matthew 19:16 KJV)

A few weeks ago, I introduced the series, Knowing God Through His Names:Introduction, considering how we could learn more about God and come to love Him more deeply through studying His names. The first name we considered was elohim—God who creates. This week we will think about another name of God—Teacher.

Schools across the nation have recently started a new school year—in my community schools opened August 31. Teachers and students alike are getting use to new people, new activities, and learning new things. The sense of possibility is crisp, much like the cooler air of autumn mornings that are coming.

My First Grade school picture, age 7


The sense of possibility that teachers and students experience is available long after we take our last test, write our last paper. As Christians, we are to never stop learning or growing as we walk with the Lord. It is here, I believe that we will find our best teacher ever: Jesus! He willingly and patiently repeats lessons until we understand, until we get things right.

You call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am. (John 13:13 KJV)

My Second Grade school picture, age 8


If and when we stop and deeply consider it, we will realize that God teaches us in many ways and at many times. May we grow in our awareness and receptivity of what God is teaching us!

Have you ever thought about God as Teacher?

What is it about Him that makes Him a Teacher?

What comes to your mind as you consider God as Teacher? What can we learn from Him to guide us in teaching others about Him?

My Third Grade school picture, age 9


God instructs and communicates with us in Truth—it is up to us what we do with that instruction.

Just think: God is the only Teacher we will ever have who teaches us the Truth and who teaches us perfectly.

Take some time this week to consider God as Teacher. Explore the Scriptures and see what you discover (see John 15:13, for example).

My Eighth Grade school picture, age 14


If we are open, we have a lot to learn from the Lord!


High School Senior picture, age 18, Photo Credit: A. Furney


Please join me in prayer:

Dear Lord, thank You for being the perfect Teacher and for providing an excellent example of who a teacher should be and what a teacher should do. Thank you for communicating the Truth to us, the Truth that only comes from You. We open our hearts and minds to Your instruction. Instill in us a strong desire to learn and grow as we walk through life with You; may we never stagnate in our journey with You. Help us to be attentive and obedient to your instruction. In Jesus’ name.  Amen.

From My Heart to Yours,

Kim


4 comments:

  1. As Christians under God's teaching, we are all life-long learners, indeed. I will reflect on this message today, Kim, and open my eyes and heart to what the Lord would have me know today.
    Love and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, There's something special about the mindset of being a life-long learner. It saddens me to be around people who think they have no need to learn after they get a degree or get to a certain age. May we all be attentive to what the Lord desires to teach us!

      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  2. Hi Kim! First of all, let me say how much I enjoyed seeing your photos at each stage of your youth. So fun!
    God as Teacher...after all, that's what the disciples called Jesus. When I think of Him as a Teacher, I think of patience...infinite patience with Apostles who just didn't 'get it' all the time (much like me!). May I never get downhearted because of my lack of understanding. He will lead me in His own time.
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ceil! I'm glad you liked my photos! Honestly, I wasn't sure what type of photos to put in this post. :)

      Like you, I think of Lord's infinite patience when He's teaching me something. I can be a bit clueless at times! Thankfully, He adjusts His pace for each one of us!

      Wishing you a wonderful weekend, as well!

      Kim

      Delete

All comments are moderated. Please use care in posting comments or replies. If you wouldn't say what you are writing in person, rethink your words. Remember words can build up or tear down. Speak the truth in love.

Labels