Translate

Friday, January 19, 2018

Thy Word: A Fresh Perspective


“Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.” 
(Psalm 119:105 KJV)

Note:  This is an edited version of a post from 2015 titled Thy Word.

Two weeks ago I proposed a challenge on the blog—the challenge was to commit to reading the Bible from cover-to-cover by the end of the year.  Treasuring God’s Word above all else and knowing it is a God-given passion of mine.  Combine this with the spiritual gifts of teacher, pastor, and faith I have a deep, burning desire that my Brothers and Sisters in Christ would develop a deep hunger for the Word and a deep desire (and commitment) to be in the Word each and every day.

Seeing rampant biblical illiteracy all around me—in my Christian Brothers and Sisters, in my church, and elsewhere deeply grieves my heart.  Biblical illiteracy must break God’s heart too.  In the future, I will likely address biblical illiteracy in a post (or two); for today, I will focus on God’s Word alone.



Personal Photo


For those of us who grew up attending church and Sunday School, we have spiritual “roots” that came from the “seeds”, the instruction adults in our life gave us.  Sometimes these memories can resurface in our adult years.  This is true in my case.

Memories can be poignant, happy, sad, and a mix of feelings.  It is interesting to recall things learned as a young child later in life.  Many times, children seem to understand spiritual things that we struggle with as adults.  Children seem to have an excitement about Jesus and God’s Word that some adults seem to have forgotten (or perhaps never had in the first place).  To recapture that love and excitement as an adult is amazing and priceless. 

As a small girl in Sunday school, I remember hearing and learning the above verse. I may have even memorized it.  Even as a young child, I knew the importance of reading, studying, and memorizing God’s Word.  (While I have spent little time memorizing the Scriptures, I have many imbedded in my heart just because of how much time I have spent in the Word.)

Sadly, however, for the most part the adults around me did not model this lifestyle. In reflecting back, there did not seem to be a hunger for God’s Word or a desire to be immersed in the Word beyond Sunday in my church.  It was not until I was in my thirties that I made and kept the commitment to study God’s Word each day; I am continuing to go strong today. 

As a college student (undergrad and graduate), I tried to study God’s Word daily, however, the academic demands of each semester “won” out over God’s Word.  I am a bit sad that I let my time with the Lord each day go when I got busy.  Some years, my priorities were more than a bit skewed.   


Photo from Pixabay


What can we do to model a hunger for God’s Word to those around us, especially the children and youth in our lives? How do we demonstrate just how important the Word of God is for His children? How can we increase our biblical literacy?  These are important questions to be considered deeply, some of these questions may be addressed later in this blog.

In 2005, I made the commitment to read the Bible from cover to cover in a year (something that I continue to do), I began discovering many “gems” that I had nearly forgotten.  In fact, many years I have been able to read the Bible from cover-to cover more than once!  The above verse from Psalm 119 highlights, I believe, just how important God’s Word is for us.  God’s Word illuminates our path, so we can see the way we are to walk.  Ignoring God’s Word can cause us to wander off the path and cause our relationship with the Lord to grow cold, stale, and lifeless.

In God’s Word we can find Scriptures that address all our life situations.  By obeying God’s Word, we can save ourselves (and others) from much heartache and sorrow by making wrong choices.  I am so thankful for God’s Word and the ability to read and understand it for myself! 



Personal Photo


Throughout the world there are many believers who do not have the Word of God in their heart language; while others simply have no access to a Bible due to where they live.  These dear ones long to have access to the Word of God.  Get that:  they long to have the Word of God to read.  When they receive a Bible, it is a treasured item that they lovingly care for and read with great hunger.  If this is true for them, why is not true for so many in countries where the Word of God is readily accessible?  What has caused us to grow cold, complacent in our faith?     

What are you thankful for in God’s Word?    

What can we do to increase our desire for God’s Word to be part of our daily lives?  

It is a choice we all make.  For me, I choose to read and study the Bible first thing every day (before I get on the computer or do anything else).  Some days I have to “push through” and do it whether I want to or not.  It also helps to be around others who are also hungry for God’s Word and are faithful to reading and studying it.

What about you:  How do you approach the reading and studying of God’s Word?  What commitments have you made?

God’s Word truly is a light unto my feet and a light unto my path!  What about you?

Please join with me in prayer:

Dear Father, thank You for Your wonderful Word.  Deepen our hunger for it so greatly that we cannot ignore it.  Remind us to turn to Your Word for knowing how we are to live.  Bring growth to the seeds that are planted each time we immerse ourselves in Your Word.  Increase our knowledge of You through spending time with You and in Your Word; we want to know You, not just know about You.  In Jesus’ precious name we pray.  Amen.

From My Heart to Yours,

Kim

P.S. As I was preparing the original post, a song by Michael W. Smith and Amy Grant came to mind, Thy Word. Take a listen here: 




8 comments:

  1. Love that song and that verse. Although I am afraid I am not following through with reading the whole Bible through in one year, I am reading it daily. Thank you for your fervent dedication to this. I know God will truly bless you in the process. I am trying to add more to what I read each day, but this year has gotten off to a slow (or rather distracted) start. Praying that God will help me to stay on track. Thank you for your faithful witness to God's Word. You are a blessing and a joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, thank you for your kind words of encouragement; they mean a lot to me. I'm happy that you are reading the Word each day--that is better than not reading at all. :) Yes, God is blessing me through the reading of His Word. Keep at the reading, my friend--you can do it!

      Blessings!

      Delete
  2. Yes, Kim, we must model a hunger for God's Word for others, especially children. As I read this, I thought about Virginia and her sisters, and how I must model that for them every chance I get.
    Beautiful post, my friend!
    Love and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, You are spot on about the need to model a hunger for God's Word to others, especially children. Whether we realize it or not people are watching us (especially children), so what we do and say is of utmost importance. Thank you for being a role model in that area for Virginia and her sisters!

      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  3. Hi Kim! (I really like the Thy Word song by Amy Grant.) I have chosen 'read' as my word for this year, so your post fits right in with that. Love the way God works! As I told you before, I've never read the bible from cover to cover, but I do enjoy reading the Psalms and the letters from Paul and Peter, along with the Gospels.

    Losing myself in the time of Jesus, placing myself in his company is such a beautiful spiritual exercise. I hope that the graces I get help me to be a good model of faith. We all need people to inspire us, so being that inspiration is so important too.
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ceil! Thy Word by Amy Grant and Michael W. Smith (I think) is a song I enjoy too. God does indeed work in so many ways--that my last two post fit in so well with your word for the year!

      I'm glad that you at least read portions of the Bible--those times aren't wasted.

      And yes, we all do need to be inspired by others. It's rewarding and humbling to be an inspiration to others!

      Blessings,

      Kim

      Delete
    2. We do seem to be on the same wavelength. I think the Lord wants us to widen our knowledge of him, so we can love, love love.
      Have a peaceful afternoon my friend!

      Delete
    3. I agree, Ceil! The Lord DOES want us to widen our knowledge of Him--to truly KNOW Him--which will result in our ability to love, love, love Him and others too!

      Have a peaceful evening, my friend!

      Delete

All comments are moderated. Please use care in posting comments or replies. If you wouldn't say what you are writing in person, rethink your words. Remember words can build up or tear down. Speak the truth in love.

Labels