Translate

Friday, January 15, 2016

My One Word for 2016: Abide



Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.  (John 15:4 KJV)


From https://brandinicolejm.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/john_15_4.jpg 
 

In the last few years, I have seen many posts on choosing a word to focus on for the year—for those of us in Christ that should be a word the Lord give us as we seek Him for His desire for us.  This year, I decided to reveal the word I believe the Lord desires me to study, to focus on, and to understand more fully from a Christian perspective.  The word I was directed to could really change things for me and my life as a Christian.  (As an aside, last year’s word was trust, as in God saying, “Trust Me.”) 

My word for the year is abide.  Abide.  Abide in Jesus and not leave—stay in Him.

Webster’s Dictionary of 1828 defines abide like this: “1. To rest, or dwell. ....  2. To tarry or stay for a short time.  ...  3. To continue permanently or in the same state; to be firm and immovable.  …  4.  To remain, to continue…  To wait for; to be prepared for; to await.  ..To endure or sustain.  …”[1]

Other words for abide, for my context, are:  dwell, submit to (humility), remain, continue, and stay.  Knowing the synonyms is helpful in gaining understanding of exactly what it means to abide. 



When we abide in Jesus we have the strength to do what we have been called to do; strength to face incredibly hard days.  It when we abide that we can do all things—something we cannot do if we only have an intellectual faith or depend solely on our mind, our own strength to live as a Christian.


I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.  (John 15:5 KJV)


From https://shadowlilies.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/john15_5.jpg


It is when we abide in Jesus that we bear fruit.  When we wander away from Jesus, from the vine, we suffer; we dry up and produce nothing noteworthy.  What we produce in the flesh will not last.  Ultimately, without abiding in Jesus we will wander away from the faith when things get difficult.

 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.  (1John 3:6 KJV)


From http://image.slidesharecdn.com/slidesharedailybibleverse201502060545-150206074634-conversion-gate02/95/1-john-36-bible-verse-of-the-day-1-638.jpg?cb=1423208833

Abiding in Jesus, being firmly attached to the vine, empowers our Christian walk.  It is a matter of heart.  No amount of intellect will assist us here, in fact, it may be detrimental.  Abiding with Jesus, truly abiding will change our lives in ways we cannot begin to imagine! 

Last year, I read three books by Corrie ten Boom (The Hiding Place impacted me deeply).  I was amazed at the depth of faith in the ten Boom family.  They along with many other Dutch Reformed Christians determined to stand up to the Nazis and did all they could to protect the Jewish people in Holland.  Due to their faith, they paid a very steep price:  imprisonment, getting sent to concentration camps in Germany (almost certain death), and in some cases they paid with their life.  That is the type of faith I desire! 

I do not know about you; I know that I want to be ready, willing to give my life for Jesus!  My hunch is that my word for the year, if I truly focus on it, may be crucial in my preparations for when I face persecution due to following Jesus.


From https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/4d/75/0b/4d750bc9f777f28fa93f736d2d91af2e.jpg


He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.  (Psalm 91:1 KJV)


From https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xfa1/t51.2885-15/s320x320/e15/11357669_1612891885655218_318992201_n.jpg

Ahh…dwelling in the secret place…  I cannot not think of a better place to dwell, to abide. 

What word has the Lord directed you to for the year? 

How are you abiding in Christ?

Please join with me in prayer:

Dear Heavenly Father:  As we embark on this year, show us how we are to abide in Jesus.  Draw us more and more to You, as we seek Your face and desire to do Your will.  In many ways we know that we need to abide in Jesus if we expect to do much of anything, yet it is so easy to wander off at times.  Thank You for all the times You wooed us back to You after we wandered away from Your side.  Cause us to seek to dwell with You in the secret place, where will find such protection and provision, we will do things we never dreamed were possible.  In Jesus’ Name, we pray.  Amen.

From My Heart to Yours,

Kim

8 comments:

  1. Lovely! You have picked a God-breathed word that I am sure is going to bring you peaceful dwelling in that secret place of the most High. Last year my word was 'content.' Content to be completely who God made me. And this year it is 'confidence' to use my unique gifts and talents God has given me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn, thank you so much for stopping by and commenting! I'm looking forward to all that God has to teach me this year about abiding--dwelling in that secret place of the most High. I love your word from last year and your word for this year.

      Blessings on your weekend!

      Kim

      Delete
  2. Hi Kim! First of all, I love all the images that accompany your post today. So pretty and inspiring!
    Congratulations on finding your word for the year! I think 'abide' is such a peaceful, yet challenging word. You mentioned that it allows you to stay firmly attached to the vine, and that's a great picture in my mind. Abide does mean stay, and keep company...at least to me. And what else would God want for you but that?

    I have read Corrie Ten Boom's book, and my small group all went together to see the play of The Hiding Place. It was such an amazing story, how can someone be so strong?? It has to be the Lord.
    Have a great weekend my friend, abiding in the love of the Lord,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ceil! Thank you for your kind comments. It's a true struggle to find the images for my posts, yet I know it gives some "color" to my posts.

      Yes, abide is, as you said, "peaceful, yet challenging". For me, the idea of abiding is a two-way street (Scripture seems to indicate this)--we're in Christ and He is in us--communication occurs.

      The play of "The Hiding Place" had to be amazing and challenging. A movie titled "The Hiding Place" came out in the early to mid 1970s (from World Wide Pictures)--I think it has been updated rather recently. You're correct, the ten Booms' strength was from the Lord--from abiding in Him.

      Blessings on your weekend!

      Kim

      Delete
  3. As I've mentioned before to you, Kim, I love the word you have chosen and how wonderfully it fits you for the year. May 2016 be the year we all seek to abide firmly in Jesus!
    Love and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, Thank you for your kind comments. I'm enjoying, thus far, studying the word/Scriptures regarding abide (and some synonyms)--just started this week. Yes, may we all seek to abide firmly in Jesus!

      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  4. Abiding in Jesus. You're right, Kim. There is no better place to be. My word for this year has to be faith. I'm working through The Faith Project as God leads me . . . trusting He is drawing me closer and helping me live in and with love. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, Thank you for your kind comments. You're word is great too. Where would we be without faith? It's so amazing to have God draw us closer, ever closer to Him.

      Blessings!

      Delete

All comments are moderated. Please use care in posting comments or replies. If you wouldn't say what you are writing in person, rethink your words. Remember words can build up or tear down. Speak the truth in love.

Labels