Translate

Friday, May 29, 2015

Commencement

“For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.”  (Jeremiah 29:11 KJV)

Me on my high school graduation day (May 27, 1990)

Commencement is defined as: “an act, instance, or time of commencing; the ceremonies or the day for conferring degrees or diplomas”. While commencement seems to indicate an end of something, such as high school or college, it really means a beginning of something, a new time of life.

My Uncle Carrol and me on my graduation day from William Penn (College) University (May 14 1995, Mother’s Day)


During our lives we have many beginnings and starts—the very first day of school, the first day of high school, the first day at a new job—the list is endless. Many times a new beginning is the end of some thing that captured our attention for many years. We grieve what we are leaving behind; while feeling a degree of anxiety/excitement about what our future holds.

What feelings did you experience at your high school/college graduation?

In what ways did your dreams come true after graduation? If not, how were God’s plans and dreams different than yours?

My friend, Maud, and me after our college graduation ceremony


Have you ever considered how inviting Jesus into your heart is like a “commencement”?

We know there is much rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents (Luke 15:7). There is a turning from “idols” to the Lord (1Thessalonians 1:9); much like the turning of the tassel during the graduation ceremony, we have a new identity and a new set of responsibilities. A totally new way of life is open to us.

To be sure, there is an adjustment period, not only for new graduates but also for those who receive Jesus as Savior and Lord.

What advice would you give to this year’s graduates?

Me after graduate school graduation ceremonies at the University of Northern Iowa (May 8, 1999)


Please join with me in prayer:

Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for knowing Your plans for us—plans that will bring about positive things for us. Help us to trust in You and the plans You have for each one of us. Clearly reveal Your presence those who are beginning new chapters in their lives, whether it is through graduation or starting life anew as a Christian. We pray for our graduates that they will correctly discern the plans You have for them. May each one seek You and discern the dreams You have for them. In Jesus’ precious name, we pray. Amen.

From My Heart to Yours,

Kim


4 comments:

  1. I love how you wove the idea of commencement with turning our lives over to Christ. New beginnings, indeed! Love and blessings, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, thank you! I discovered this in some writing I did a number of years ago and expanded on it a bit. Glad it made sense to you!

      Love and blessings, Martha!

      Delete
  2. Hi Kim! Like Martha, I never thought of 'commencement' being the invitation of Christ into our hearts. But it really is. Jesus doesn't come for nothing, He comes to urge us forward, urge us to help, inspire and be there for others. I love this!
    You have inspired me today and I'm so grateful.
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ceil! I'm thankful that I inspired you with my writing! Yet my writing really isn't my own. The Holy Spirit works through me in all that I do, at least that is my goal.

      Blessings!

      Delete

All comments are moderated. Please use care in posting comments or replies. If you wouldn't say what you are writing in person, rethink your words. Remember words can build up or tear down. Speak the truth in love.

Labels